These TED videos from the series Small Thing Big Idea, are great for listening practice. They are also great practice for the TOEFL listening test.
Students should watch these videos without stopping and then check for comprehension using the following questions.
Why the pencil is perfect
- Do you think of the pencil as a great invention? Is it a perfect object? Why or why not?
- What were the uses of graphite? What are the uses now?
- Do you have different numbers for pencils? What numbers does your country use?
- Do you prefer pencils or pens?
- Have you heard of any of these pencils? What brands do you have in your country?
- Can you think of any improvements of the pencil? have you ever used mechanical pencils? Do you think these are better?